Monday 23 February 2015

VSH Book Club #1... The Girl With All The Gifts

I have been toying with the idea of joining a book club for a while now, or even better starting one with people I know who love to read (this sounds dreadful but do you ever feel there just isn't time to make new friends?!). Having failed to actually do anything about it however I figured a book club here on the blog might be a good interim. 

The idea is that a new book will be selected (suggestions welcome!) each month, and then I will post a review of the book once the month is up, and invite people to comment with their thoughts. I think there's something lovely about the idea of knowing other people are enjoying the same stories and characters as you. 




I have decided to kick off with The Girl With All the Gifts by M.R.Carey, as it has been on my radar for a while now and happened to be in the library when I visited a couple of days ago. You can purchase the kindle edition here for £3.66 or new & used paperbacks from £0.01 plus delivery here. Even better pop on down to your local library or nearest Waterstones where it is £5.99 but no doubt will also be on some sort of multiple buy offer. 

I don't actually know too much about the book as I get the feeling that it's the kind of story that could be ruined by reading too many reviews. I do know that it is a thriller told from the perspective of a 10 year old girl who we discover (in the first few pages) lives in some kind of secure facility, and that the story has a hint of the Walking Dead about it. It appears to be pretty popular, having been given 5 out of 5 on the Waterstones website, 4 out of 5 on Goodreads and 4.5 out of 5 on Amazon. I'm sold! 

So who's in?! 

Does anyone have any other recent reads they would recommend? I have a few so watch this space for a separate post. 

1 comment: